The Village Public Works Department is seeking to expand its team! We are looking for a qualified applicant to fill the position of DPW Equipment Operator. Specific areas of duty include maintaining water and wastewater systems, streets, sidewalks, parks, equipment, refuse, and other areas as assigned.
A high school diploma or GED equivalent is required. Minimum qualifications include a CDL or ability to obtain the license within ninety days of hire, one to two years of experience in a maintenance environment, knowledge of standard construction practices, a solid mechanical aptitude, and a clean driving record. The position requires residence within a thirty-minute recall time, and it pays $22.91-$23.41 per hour –depending on qualifications. The selected candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, including a drug screen. The position will be open until filled.
holder of this position is directly supervised by the DPW Director and/or the
Assistant DPW Director. Job performance
is to be formally evaluated at least once each year by the DPW Director.
· Water System Duties:
- Maintain all water system infrastructures
- Set and monitor water tower, well, pump, and meter controls.
- Add beneficial chemicals into the water system as needed.
- Sample and test Village water as required by various regulatory agencies.
- Repair significant water main leaks.
- Install and maintain fire hydrants.
- Read and record quarterly flow data from all Village water meters as requested by the DPW Director and then promptly forward all meter reading data in a legible and orderly form to the DPW Director.
- Turn-off and turn-on water service to specific addresses served by the Village water system as directed by the DPW Director.
Wastewater Systems Duties:
- Maintain all sanitary and storm sewer systems infrastructures
- Set and monitor lift station control.
- Repair significant sanitary and storm sewer main leaks.
- Remove snow from Village streets and apply salt and sand to Village streets.
- Grade and fill Village dirt and gravel roads.
- Repair potholes.
- Install or replace Village signs in Village right-of-ways.
- Trim trees along Village right-of-ways to ensure clear driver sightlines.
- Clean streets and gutters.
- Remove snow and apply salt and sand on sidewalks abutting Village property and bridges as needed for safe pedestrian use and elsewhere.
- Repair and replace sidewalks segments as needed.
- Maintain parks and park facilities in a clean, safe and secure manner.
- Repair, maintain, replace, remove or add park fixtures and playing surfaces.
- Seed, fertilizer, sod, mow and maintain park lawns and other Village-owned lawns.
- Trim park trees and remove fallen leaves and branches as necessary.
DPW and Motor Pool Duties:
- Maintain Village vehicles, machinery, tools and other equipment, as written in the maintenance schedule.
- Keep all DPW vehicles and equipment clean.
- Keep DPW work areas clean and safe.
- Perform all regularly scheduled maintenance, as written in the maintenance schedule.
Refuse Collection Duties:
- Collect and compost yard waste (i.e., grass, leaves, small branches) as scheduled.
- Collect and chip branches and tree trimmings as scheduled.
- Weekly, remove trash from Village offices, other Village workplaces and dumpsters.
- Remove all approved waste items (those authorized by Village Manager) from residential curbsides during periodic resident clean-up campaigns.
- Be prepared to operate all Village vehicles and other equipment needed to implement various construction, replacement, or maintenance projects.
- Advise the Village Manager and police of all illegal or otherwise inappropriate obstructions of public right-of-ways, ordinance violations or other public nuisances observed in the Village.
- Attend Village Council Meetings or Village Council Committee Meetings as directed by the Director or the Village Manager.
- Attend classes and seminars as appropriate to keep training, licenses, and certifications current with the Village Manager's approval.
- Adhere to a written on-call schedule covering all full-time DPW staff in responding to emergencies and other immediate needs of the Village that may occur during other than regular DPW business hours.
- Respond diplomatically and tactfully to complaints and inquiries about DPW and public works issues from the general public.
- Complete other duties and special projects assigned by the DPW Director or the Assistant DPW Director.